Jun 15, 2010

Bon Iver and the Modern Man

So I discovered "For Emma, Forever Ago" later than most.  And by later I mean 11pm last Sunday, almost 3 years after its release.  Is it profound or pathetic when a piece of music resonates with the spirit of a chunk of the population.  I'm gonna go with profound...although pathetic is never far off.  The chunk I'm referring to is the postmodern white, children of middle-class, 20-30 somethings whose souls have been eroded by the apathy and hegemony of "normal."  Are our thumbs in our assholes for stimulation or pacification?  Or are they one and the same?  When I started this blog 4 years ago I had intended for it to be a place where I could voice both my pretentious and populist interests with a bit of humor and cultural critique thrown in.  The truth I've discovered about myself is ironic considering this post's condemnation of apathy and normalcy.  First, I was just a little too indifferent about my interests and second, I was worried about being considered "out there."  The post-Bon Iver writer says, "Fuck that!" while wondering if anyone will actually read these rants.  This album opened a spot inside of me, a spot that wants to both mourn the death of passion in the modern man, and burn down the false monuments to our culturally normative past.  In this writer's opinion "For Emma, Forever Ago," and the desires of our compartmentalized hearts, might deserve another listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment